Random thoughts about my interests which include (in no particular order) poker, finance & investing, politics, football and whatever else I happen to see that piques my interest

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Ask Mr Owl for he is the wisest of us all

I could be working this weekend, probably should be at work when you come right down to it, but I decided I needed a weekend to myself.  Was up early Saturday so I picked up the iced coffee and donuts instead of the PQ.  Then after she went over to her sisters I spent the morning catching up on some DVR shows from the past couple of weeks

One of the things I love about DVR is I can fast forward through all the commercials.  Especially now when every other commercial is one candidate bashing another.  Personally, I'm ready to vote for anyone who runs commercials and doesn't bash his opponent.

 I started to rant about Obama commercials and just gave up, I don't want this getting into politics, I'll never get off.  Nope I was talking commercials.  Anyway, I love skipping all those ads whenever I DVR a program but every once in a while an ad comes out that I enjoy.  Because instead of flashing a bunch of half naked women or a speeding car (always through water at some point) someone uses their mind or has a bit of inspiration and actually puts out a commercial that's fun or thought provoking or something other than the norm. 

I think back to when I was a kid sometimes and the some of the commercials from then.  Most of them were probably crap too.  I always like the old Alka Seltzer commercial  "I can't believe I ate the whole thing"  and also the one about shooting a commercial over and over where the guy has to say "Mamma Mia that's a spicy meat-a-ball"  I'm sure some of us have relatives from the old country that sound like that.  I never liked Alka Seltzer but it was a good commercial.  I don't remember too many others from my childhood but I occasionally still see one from that time on tv.  That old Tootsie Pop commercial, how many licks to get to the center where the kid asks the owl.  That one is probably more than 40 years old.  I'm sure I was no more than 9 or 10 when that first came out.  The original commercial was a lot longer as the kid asked some animal who told him to ask the turtle since he lived so long then the turtle tells him to ask the owl.   They dropped most of the early stuff out of the commercial after that.  But anyway enough dating myself.  So tell me what commercials if any that you enjoy.  Any you absolutely hate? 

There are a few commercials today I like.  I will even stop the fast forward for a couple of them.  I suppose my fave is one of the Allstate Mayhem commercials.  Lady's driving her SUV and he's in her blind spot.  So she wants to change lanes and he says "You're good" and she hits the guI y in her blind spot.  The car is spinning, she's screaming, mayhem is laughing hysterically.  I get a kick out of it.  You can view it here.  Some of the others are pretty funny too.

A commercial I thought was inventive was the VW commercial where the kids are driving in a Jetta and out of nowhere a car runs a redlight and slams into them.  Not brilliant perhaps but definitely gets your attention.  Don't know if it helped their sales but it made you remember the car and that's probably what they were aiming at.  Another one I enjoy is the Samsung Galaxy S3 commercial that really tweaks the Apple Iphone.  Pokes fun at it and makes it almost old fashioned with the kid holding a place in line for his parents.  It really gets the point out that the Iphone no longer rules the roost for having the best newest features and is actually behind in some areas.  I dislike Apple for its cultlike status with some people the way it locks people in to their market etc so it can keep milking them for more money but hey if thats what the sheeple want, so be it.  I may not like them but I have to admire them and there's a reason their stock price reached 700 a share.  Amazing when you consider you could have bought Apple for $7 a share in 2003.  Sure wish I had.  But I'll talk about them some other time.  They could have had a great commercial too.  Every time I see the Samuel L Jackson commercial talking to Siri I keep hoping he'll say, "Siri, what does Marcellus Wallace look like? "  That would have gotten a thumbs up from me.

Now to one I hate, no that's not a strong enough word, I absolutely despise this commercial.  It's the Citibank one where the chick says "Jack you're a little boring,  boring,   boring."   Then it shows Jack getting unboring by using his Citi card to cook with Giada DeLaurentis and go to some art exhibit (yes Jack you really are boring now) and to go backstage to see Alicia Keys.  Yeah you're not boring now Jack but you're in debt up to your eyes and we're gonna charge you 21% for the opportunity heh heh heh.  Yup Citi is creepily rubbing their hands like The Judge in "The Natural" while Jack goes on a spending binge to prove how unboring he is.  Hey Jack, here's a thought, just tell Lauren what a bitch she is and live your life.  And save some cash for your retirement.  Trust me you need it almost as much as Citigroup does.  And boy do they need it. I did find a pretty funny parody of the commercial on youtube here.  Take a look. 

Boy so much more I wanted to talk about yet I go off on a rant about commercials.  I must be boring   boring   boring!   Somehow I did managed to score some cash in a poker tourney last night.  I felt very satisfied with my play, had to suck out once but if I hadn't gotten sucked out on mulitple times, I would have won that tourney.  I felt really good about the lay downs I made and the bets I made.  Also never got great cards but did make some marginal ones into winners and that's what you need.  I made sure I played much more aggressively too and that was a huge difference.  It was great to pick on certain people and steal from them.  Never got a big pocket pair, I think 88 was my best.  Got AK once, AQ and A10 a couple of times yet managed to split the 2nd & 3rd place money.  Money won is definitely sweeter than money earned. 

Well long enough with this post.  I'm not Rob after all and I definitely don't have the writing skills to entertain on a long post anyway.  If I haven't bored you to sleep yet, stay lucky you nuts. 

4 comments:

grrouchie said...

the mock citi-bank commercial was pretty good.

Really enjoyed the craigslist hookers :)

lightning36 said...

"Well long enough with this post. I'm not Rob after all"

Mwahahahahahahahaha

JT88Keys said...

I have three current commercials that I will actually stop and watch these days.

BMW Backup Camera

Kayak Brain Surgeon

Nissan Altima Enough

The Neophyte said...

I like the Kayak and Nissan ones but never saw the BMW before. OMG that's pretty funny.