Random thoughts about my interests which include (in no particular order) poker, finance & investing, politics, football and whatever else I happen to see that piques my interest

Sunday, February 12, 2012

The real quick weekend update

Well another weekend is going by the boards and I have nothing new to report.  Well I do but this is much to short a post to go there as I might need an entire day just to put it all together.  Here is my week in a nutshell

Work work work sleep work sleep lots of phone calls blah blah blah. 

Actually work was pretty damned busy for sure.  My teeth are better but still not great and talking on the phone for a couple of hours a day starts getting to me.  So every afternoon  my mouth starts to hurt and I'm popping naproxen.  A couple of nights I ended up taking a vicodin to help me sleep and I'm thinking, this is hurting way more than I remember last time.  So I'm getting pretty concerned as the week goes on.

I have an appointment with the dentist on Friday morning so I'm figuring on waiting till then to discuss this with him but by Wednesday night things are really bugging me.  I'm in some pain, not more than I can stand or anything and if need be I could get by on otc pain relievers but my nose is running and is stuffy (dentist warned me it might be that way and I can't blow it for a week because I might blow the stitches out of my mouth) and each time I sniffle, I can smell infection.  What an ugly smell.   So as I said I'm getting worried and figuring on calling the dentist first thing thursday morning.  But before bed on Wednesday I did the salt water cleaning again which instantly made my mouth feel better and the vicodin got me a decent nights sleep so by Thursday morning I felt a good bit better, not great but ok

So I hold off till Friday morning and head on in to the dentist office.  I tell him I don't think I'm healing all that well and about being stuffy and all but he tells me I'm healing really well and he expects I might have a little sinus infection/inflammation due to all of the work he put in trying to get that last root out.   He prescribed some amoxycillin for the infection and it seems to be working pretty well as the smell has been much reduced (not at all today).  He also told me to remember I'm not 25 like I was when I had the other 2 wisdom teeth removed and I'm not gonna heal as quickly as back then.  Which is a consideration I didn't think about.  He said the healing process is a lot longer at my semi advanced age. 

Saturday was a slow day for me and I puttered around the house most of the day missing out on a trip to IKEA with the wife and extended family.  As the day continued it got pretty danged cool outside and very windy.  I had the back sliding glass door open and the front window but the breeze blowing across me started getting to me and I closed the back door.  By the time the wife and family got back it was downright chilly outside.  The wife took a nap and we headed out for our Saturday evening poker trip.  I did poorly, the PQ final tabled again but went out 9th.  Nothing to speak about for me as I was pretty card dead and didn't play very well either.  I did have some success betting the dogs at least.  I bet one dog across the board (to win place and show) for $2 each and the dog took third.  And paid $30 for a two dollar show ticket!!   Say what? 

I have one poker question lately.  Why is it my suckouts don't remain but when someone sucks out on me I never resuck??  Last time I played I was all in with 9-9 and ran into KK and AA.  Door card is a 9.  YES   next card is a King.  Good night to me.  This week I get in with a straight draw which hits on the turn against the gal's set.  She of course makes quads on the river.  QUADS.  WTF.  Her second time of the tourney they tell me.  Oh yay.  This was only about 2 hours in.  I can't get quads once in 2 months and she gets it twice in 2 hours.  I get in good and they suckout and I can't resuck.  I get in bad and the few times I do hit, they catch up.  Talk about running bad.  I know it's just a phase that will pass (hopefully) but it is truly annoying as shit while you live through it.

So last night was 34 degrees.  34!!  Its been a warm winter here with only a couple of coldish nights but last night was one.  It's 11 am now and it's only 41.  I'm heading to the airport to get him and his wife soon and it appears he brought the arctic weather down ahead of him so he'd feel right at home when he got here.  If he is expecting mid 70s today he is gonna be sorely disappointed though we'll be there in a couple of days.  So I better wrap this up.  Sorry for the venting boys and girls, I just had to get it off my chest and out of my still a bit sore mouth.  Stay lucky you nuts, luckier than your chilled host. 

6 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

So last night was 34 degrees.

So, you moved from Florida and didn't tell us?

Rob said...

Better luck with your teeth, man. Hope they get better real soon.

Luck in poker (or in anything else) is a very strange thing. I'm sure after you've played an infinite amount of poker (and right now, it only SEEMS like you've played an infinite amount of poker) it will all balance out. But in the short term some bizarre things happen.

I once saw a lady get a straight flush and quads in back to back hands. I once got them both but not quite so fast, about 30 minutes a part. I told that story here: http://robvegaspoker.blogspot.com/2011/10/straoght-flush-and-flopped-quads.html

A lady I see in Vegas once or twice a year told me she's been playing poker a lot for 8 years and has never gotten quads, something I find really hard to believe.

Just hang in there an wait for the rungood. It's waiting for us, I'm sure!

lightning36 said...

One would think that you'd order better weather for us. : o )

Thanks for the airport shuttle service!

The Neophyte said...

You'd have thought I moved from Sunny Fla the way last night felt Mojo. Chilly today but nice in the sun at least.

Thanks Rob, I know its just running bad but I'm hoping rungood comes along before blow out your brains does.

I can't help it if you bring the weather with you Lightning. You're supposed to leave it up there, not pack it with you. It really has been a warm winter. Until last night and today it seems.

Josie said...

That's not cold! Hope u feel better soon!

Lucki Duck said...

We've had a mild winter in central Texas, but had some snow today. The weird part is that it was 41F and snowing like crazy. I can't remember seeing so much snow with the temp as high as it was.