Random thoughts about my interests which include (in no particular order) poker, finance & investing, politics, football and whatever else I happen to see that piques my interest

Saturday, January 29, 2011

It's the stuff that dreams are made of......


Did you ever wonder what dreams meant? Are they your subconscious speaking to you, a prediction of things to come, or does it mean you watched the wrong movie last night? I usually don't remember my dreams unless they were unusually strange or vivid. That often means I only remember crazy dreams or bad dreams but that's not always true. Occasionally I've had dreams that were so good I was pissed off when I woke up and found them not to be true. Those dreams usually involve winning the lottery or a big poker tourney or something like that.


Do dreams foretell the future? For some people they seem to. Maybe we forget dreams that foretell our future. That could explain deja vu, it's not that you were there in another life or something, maybe you just dreamed it and forgot about it. Then you went to that place or saw something happen and it resonated with you. You felt something was familiar but you had never been there, never done that, never seen whatever it was that happened. I remember once as a teen I dreamed of catching a fish where the fish didn't swallow the hook, it was hooked under the mouth. Foul hooked I think they call it. What was weird was I was fishing at the pond where I normally fished but it didn't look the same. The water level was way lower than usual and I had to walk out where the water normally was to fish because it was all exposed. Later that year we were over at the pond. The water level was way lower because they partially drained the pond to fix the dam. I was fishing and hooked a bluegill. When I pulled the fish out of the water, damned if it wasn't hooked under the mouth. I had never seen that before or read about it but boy did it bring back that dream I had. That is really the only time I have ever had a dream I felt foretold the future. Which means I probably won't be in a kung fu fight with 8 other guys and kick all their asses. Now that was a memorable dream.


Hopefully last night's dream doesn't foretell the future. It was way too weird. I blame it on the chocolate chip cookies I ate while playing in an Omaha Hi/Lo tourney. It was a good tourney, 180 people. I was up, I was down. Made a big hand right near the bubble to scoop a pot and put myself in position to go. Then hit another good hand and jumped up to 15 out of 60 people left. Went card dead for a good while, stole a couple of pots to keep chipped up then got into it with a guy who was a little smaller stacked than I was. I flopped top two pair. There was a flush draw and a possible straight draw so I took it slow and checked the flop. I have learned through painful experience in Omaha that a big push post flop will not push out many people with flush draws, especially if they have a small pair as well or a back door straight draw. But if the turn doesn't hit, you can usually get them out with a big raise. Turn was a nothing card. I pushed all in on the flop. And the idiot calls with only a flush draw. Of course he hits and I am now the shortie at the table when we are down to 30. I got back into it on a 3 way pot where I flopped a set of fours and the low draw. The fours held up. We got down to 20 people and I was about 13 but I'm still getting short compared to the blinds and antes. I get a decent hand, KJ1010 double suited from middle position. I push all in and get called by the UTG player who just called the big blind. She flips over AQJ4. Flop comes QJ6 giving her 2 pair. I don't improve and I am down to 2K in chips. Soon after I went out. Got almost $20 bucks for my work but really wanted to finish high up and score some real dough. Oh well it was fun.


I do like Pokerstars for at least providing a goodly number of Omaha and O8 tourneys to play. Much more than I got on my last site. Later today is the last WBCOOP qualifying tourney at 3pm. I will probably play in it. Hopefully I will perform a bit better than my other tourneys. Have a great weekend everyone. For anyone in this area, Happy Gasparilla Weekend. Stay lucky you nuts.

4 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

I have learned through painful experience in Omaha that a big push post flop will not push out many people with flush draws, especially if they have a small pair as well or a back door straight draw. But if the turn doesn't hit, you can usually get them out with a big raise.

I hadn't thought about this, but definitely good advice -- thanks.

The Neophyte said...

I hope it was helpful. Like I said it was from painful (expensive) experience.

lightning36 said...

Nice run into the top 100 today. Good luck to us both in the Main Event!

btw -- adding you to my blogroll today and would appreciate the same.

The Neophyte said...

Thanks Lightning, consider yourself added. And good luck in the main event.