Random thoughts about my interests which include (in no particular order) poker, finance & investing, politics, football and whatever else I happen to see that piques my interest

Friday, June 11, 2010

To My Daughter


You graduated from high school yesterday. I watched you walk to the podium. Heard them call your name, your whole name not just first and last names, and watched you get your diploma. I watched this beautiful young woman, so confident and polished, and felt my eyes get wet. So many memories collided inside my mind.


I remembered your birth and when you were placed in my arms for the first time. How you were called the little girl with the name that was longer than she was. I remembered taking you to breakfast with me when you were but a few months old. Just sitting you on the table at the Sunrise in your little carrier while I ate. How the waitresses made a fuss about you. As you got older you graduated to a high chair and ate along with me. And the fussing continued, especially when those golden curls came in.


I recalled all the laughter you brought to our house. How your brother was like Martin Luther King and where Yo Land was. How much we spoiled you (and though I blame your mother and aunts, I am as much to blame as anyone) and how protective your older brothers were of you. All of those blond curls that made almost every woman who saw you jealous. Your sweet smile and disposition made you the darling of the family.



And now as you approach adult hood and prepare to go off to college, there is so much I want to say to you. I admire your maturity, so much greater than mine at this age. Hell you're probably more mature than me now when you come right down to it (after all I've never heard you yell at the computer). Your mother always told the boys "Make good choices." You have always done that. I worried about the boys getting into trouble as teens but my only worry about you was that someone would hurt you. And I will always worry about that.


I wish you all the joy and happiness you have brought to your mother and I. I wish your college years to be fun, rewarding, interesting, and educational. I trust that your good sense will guide you and your willingness to work hard will make you the successful woman I'm sure you will be. Your mother and I are so very proud of you and your achievements in high school. We were so glad to see how you blossomed this past year. And we so look forward to seeing what you will become in the future.


You think you want to become a pastry chef and if you do I'm sure you will be a fine one. But you have choices and if you decide this is something you don't want, the world is full of things you can do. Remember 2 things as your life continues to develop and you will be fine. One is that change is inevitable. Just when you get most comfortable with your life, some change will occur to turn it upside down. Accept and embrace the changes and you will find more opportunities in your life. The second thing to remember is to never stop learning. College won't teach you all you need to know, it will prepare you to learn what you need to know. As long as you continue to learn and apply what you learn, you will succeed in whatever you do. Enjoy your time in college. Your mother and I will really miss you, I think it's just sinking into me now how much I will miss you. But you will learn so much about yourself and will meet so many different people there. If it is anything like my college years, it will be the best time of your life. Good luck Sarah and never forget, no matter what happens, you will always have a place here. I love you.


Dad

2 comments:

Josie said...

What an unexpectedly beautiful post. Thanks for sharing Neo Baby.

The Neophyte said...

Unexpectedly because it's from me? I am forced to agree. But there's just this thing between fathers and daughters and I was inspired this time.