Random thoughts about my interests which include (in no particular order) poker, finance & investing, politics, football and whatever else I happen to see that piques my interest

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Back in the game


Good morning boys and girls. I am back as you can see. God how I hate moving. There are still things we need to unpack and take care of but the house is coming together. It had better as tomorrow I will be cooking and entertaining a good part of the day for Mother's Day. We are having some of my wife's family over for brunch in the morning then I'll be making dinner for her on Sunday night.

Today is a different story. I am working on putting stuff away, setting up some stuff, washing clothes, etc. Got a lot to do because tonight we are hitting the poker tables again. It wasn't in our original plans but I got a call from the PQ yesterday morning at work telling me we were going to play. Apparently she was on break and the radio was playing and the DJ announced they were giving away a free entry into the poker tourney on Saturday night. So she called in and won. Not too shabby as it's $97 to enter. I just had to laugh. She'll probably hit the money too. I know I'll be rusty without playing any poker for the last 2-3 weeks.

Amazing how much things can change in less than a month. The Tampa Bay Lightning were struggling into the playoffs after being overtaken by the Caps for the division lead. They did finish the season strong though after getting a couple of guys back from injury, the all important one being Ryan Malone who does all the little things around the net. Then they fell behind Pittsburgh 3 games to 1. Every close game went against Tampa Bay and the only game they won was a blowout. But they put it together, blew out Pittsburgh in game 5 and won the last 2 to take the series. I thought Tampa was the better team going in but Pittsburgh really played well, especially considering they didn't have either Crosby or Malkin. A couple of more breaks and they win the series. Then Tampa faces the Capitals and the man I hate the most in hockey, Alex Ovechkin. Personally I think Ovechkin may be the most talented player in the game (I think Crosby is a better all around player though), however I also think he also likes to take cheap shots when he can get away with it. I didn't think TB matched up that well with Washington and if they got into a run and gun type game with them, the Caps would blow them out. So TB takes them down in 4 straight. Much gnashing of teeth in Washington as this is the 3rd or 4th time in a row they have been whacked early in the playoffs, usually as the favorite.

Time for a break. Ok ladies, I just saw a commercial on TNT and they talk about Penelope Cruz and how she is married to that hot guy Javier Bardem. Javier Bardem is hot? Really ladies, is this true? I know I am not one to judge who is hot or not and I have my own peculiar tastes in which women are hot - btw Penelope Cruz is VERY HOT. But is Javier Bardem really a good looking guy? I'm sure my view is being colored somewhat by my first view of him being in "No Country For Old Men" where he definitely looked pretty crazy. So am I completely off base? How about his twin, Jeffrey Dean Morgan? If you are unfamiliar with him, he starred in "The Losers" and "Watchmen" and he looks nearly identical to Javier Bardem. Too bad Paz Vega is married cuz if the 2 of them got together I would never be able to tell the couples apart.

Thank god "In Plain Sight" is back on tv with new episodes. This is such a good series. Why is it most of the good series on TV are on cable channels? I'm not talking about stuff like Dexter or Weeds on HBO or Showtime, the shows I like the best are ones like Burn Notice and In Plain Sight on USA, The Walking Dead on AMC, and Justified on FX. Really well done shows. Ok enough tv and movie talk, back to sports.

Now TB gets to take on the Boston Bruins (my fave team growing up - love the cool B on the unis and the black and gold colors) to go to the Stanley Cup Finals. Hey Josie, one request. Can you go to the first Bruins/Lightning game? You went to the first Rays/Sox game this year when the Rays were 1-8. One 16-5 thrashing later and the Rays have gone 17-6 since then and are a game behind the Yankmees for first. Thanks Josie, you do bring good luck. So do me a favor and attend the first Bruins/Lightning game wontcha? Of course if you do and you manage to curse the Bruins like you did the Sox (wasn't this supposed to be their year, they got all these great pitchers and added Crawford and Gonzalez and all? ) would Gary every forgive you? I know y'all are such good buddies and all but some things transcend friendships. Especially to Bruins fans. Then again you wouldn't be cursing them in favor of the Canadians which may be the only unforgivable offense to a Bruins fan. OMG the series they used to have when I was a kid. And almost every time the Canadians would take them down in a massive 7 game series. Then Orr and Espo and company broke through and won it all. What a great picture that is of Orr leaping in the air, parallel to the ice, when they won it all.

Well time to get to work now. Hope everyone has a good weekend and those of you who are mothers have a great Mothers Day. And remember you young fathers that you had better honor the mother of your children even if "You're not MY mother" and please don't ever say that to her. Learn from your elders who were not wiser. I know wisdom is supposed to come from experience but that is the number two thing not to say to your wife. Number one is of course calling her the "Black Hole of Money" in the hearing of your young children who cannot wait to tell her you said that. Twenty something years later I am still paying that bill. Perhaps I was right. Anyway have a good weekend and stay lucky you nuts.

3 comments:

lightning36 said...

You mean hockey is still going on? I thought it was over...

I am with you on Ovechkin. Can't stand the guy.

Memphis MOJO said...

Wonder if you would ask PQ to buy me a lottery ticket! Can't miss!

Schaubs said...

Go Stamstud!!