Random thoughts about my interests which include (in no particular order) poker, finance & investing, politics, football and whatever else I happen to see that piques my interest

Saturday, January 22, 2011

If you're going to shoot, shoot.......


Don't talk. My fave line from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Just watched it again last night. Now I've got Kill Bill on. Some good lines in there too, but I'm not really watching it.

Playing a small buy in Omaha Hi Lo MTT on Poker Stars. I just signed up here recently to hopefully play in the WBCOOP tourneys and so far I like the site. I'm still learning my way around here but so far it seems a pretty good site. This tourney started with about 240 runners but still had late registration for quite awhile so it ended up with 867 players. Many of them seemed to be NLHE types who were willing to push nut flushes into boats etc.

Top 99 got paid. The bubble broke about an hour ago and I was about 88 out of 99 at that point but a couple of good hands later (flopped quads with 7755 in the big blind) and I was feeling good. Can't seem to get better than an average stack but people keep falling and we're now down to 39. I'm sitting 22nd now with a little below average but because of the blind structure, I'm not feeling forced to push in . Unfortunately the real money doesn't come out till the top 7 or so. Total prize pool is a little over 2600 and 1st makes almost 500. So I have my work cut out for me yet but it's nice to finish in the money and make a few bucks here.

Looks like the wife and I are gonna play in the 8pm tourney tonight at Derby Lane. Gotta bring a jacket as the low tonight is supposed to be about 34. Not New England temps but pretty danged cold for these parts. It was very cloudy and gray when I got up this morning and the temps were in the low 50s. The clouds blew out and its now pretty sunny but the temps are going down instead of up and the wind is blowing pretty hard from the north. BRRRRRR. Better get my hat and gloves. Nah, ain't that cold out. After all I'm not Josie and I definitely don't have a hat like that.

Back from break. Down to 36 and I'm still 22nd though I have a few more chips. 28 to 36 pays a little over $11. Yay, in for a double digit score.

On the work front, it's still busy but not quite as bad as earlier in the year. It will pick up again next month. My company just reported it's quarterly earnings this past week and they killed it. Up about 90% over last years same quarter and beat the earnings estimates by over 20%. Needless to say the stock had a nice pop, up about 1.75 the next day and another .52 yesterday. I am especially loving this when I see Goldman Sachs (The Devil Incarnate) and Bank of America (We want to repo your home, even if we don't have the right paperwork) both miss their estimates badly and got crunched in the market.

Now down to 26 and I'm in 16th. Still a little below average but I'm working on it.

I recently sold some stocks after they hit my price targets and I am looking into some other companies to invest in. I have a few in mind but I'm not sold on any of them yet. I think the market is gonna correct down a bit over the next couple of weeks so I'm not in any hurry to put more money in. But I don't want to sit with 25% of my account in cash for too long.

Just busted a short stack who pushed all in on my big blind. I liked my hand AQQ6 and liked it even more when I flopped a Q and the board paired on the turn. Good thing as I was getting short myself. Down to 18 and I've got about half the average stack now in 13th place. Need to move up some more but went card dead for a while there.

Well guess I should wrap this up. I'll post a bit later after I'm done in the tourney or maybe after I play tonight. Either way I hope everyone stays warm and if you know some real good stocks to invest in, I'm all ears. Stay lucky you nuts

1 comment:

Memphis MOJO said...

Let us know how you did. GL to you and wife in the tournament tonight. Down to 34 degrees? Aw, gee.