Random thoughts about my interests which include (in no particular order) poker, finance & investing, politics, football and whatever else I happen to see that piques my interest

Sunday, April 3, 2011

It's another Lazy Sunday in the South


Wow, feels like the weekend just started and it's already Sunday afternoon. I just finished cleaning up the dishes from breakfast for me and the PQ. She is a bit down today as she was doing very well in the tourney last night and then got blindsided and knocked out soon afterward.


I was long gone by then. I never got it going, had no really big hands. Best hand was probably AQ which I got 4 times but I would raise, get 3 callers, flop nothing and have to dump to someone elses bet. Did that like 3 or 4 times. Otherwise I got pocket 6s once and pocket 7s once and that was it for 2.5 or 3 hours of play. It was fucking horrendous. And the worst part was this calling station to my left. She called every raise I made and I couldn't get her out. She hit every time or kept calling my bets until she hit. I raised with the 6s and she called. Flop was jack high nothing and I bet, she called. I bet almost a pot sized bet on the turn and she calls and rivers her ace. She proceeded to spew off my chips to everyone else at the table but it seemed like everytime I went with a hand she was there. Of course for the first hour or 2 she called about 70% of the hands.


This was how ridiculous it was. I had KQ of spades in middle position and it was folded to me so I raised to 300 when blinds were 50-100. Of course she calls me. Then the button raises to 1200. Now he has been pretty tight so I am putting him on at least AQ and probably better. So I dump it. She calls him again. Flop is Ace high all diamonds. Guy pushes in for another 3K and she calls him. He had KK, she had J6 of diamonds. Yes called a raise then called a big reraise with a shitty J6 and is of course rewarded. Unfortunately I could never get the cards or the flop to make her pay for it either. It just sucked. Then I went through a horrible run of cards, couldn't buy 2 face cards or a pair. I tried to steal twice and got reraised both times. I got lower and lower then in the big blind I got A10. Guy in mid position raised. He hadn't shown me too much so I put him on anything from a low pair to KQ to a low to mid ace. I pushed in and he called as did one other guy. He had AJ of course, other guy had KQ and hit his king to win the hand. Goodbye to me.


The PQ was doing ok and a little after my knockout she doubled up twice to get up to almost 40K which left her in good position. I looked at the waiting list for the cash tables and it was looooooong so I decided to hit the bar and bet on the doggies instead of playing anything. A few screwdrivers later I was feeling a bit better. The dogs were as unkind to me as the cards but I didn't expect any better from them. I drank and bet for about an hour and a half and as the PQ was still in the tourney I decided I would play a bit of 1-1 no limit. Good decision on my part.


First hand I am in the big blind with a 7-4. Pot is unraised and the flop is QQ7. I bet and get one caller. Turn is another queen. I'm wondering if the other guy has the 4th queen and check but he checks back. River is a 2 and I decide to bet again. He calls and flips up 66 so I take it down. Sign of good things to come.


A few hands later I get 10-10. Old dude in seat 10 raises to $3 preflop. Now I haven't played here enough to know his range so I'm figuring him for a decent hand but nothing special. I thought he might even be playing something like J-10 suited. So I call as do about 4 others. Flop is K87 with 2 spades. Old dude bets $4 and I call as do 2 others. Turn is another K. Which makes me think he may not have bet on AK or KQ and I might still be ahead. But he also could be on the flush draw as well so I don't want to go hog wild not knowing what range he is playing. He bets $7 which is only about a quarter of the pot. Guy to my right folds and the guy to my left who was in folds as well. The dealer didn't look at me and I said "Uh, Joe, do I still get to act in this hand?" He then realizes he goofed and skipped right over me but no harm done as he didn't ship the pot and no one turned over cards. I was leaning toward calling but I still thought there was a good chance I was ahead so I called. Old guy looked a little pissed. Glad I didn't raise which I was also considering. River was a beautiful 10 of spades making the flush draw as well as filling my boat. Old dude looks at me then puts out $10. I think for a second and raise him to $25. He looks at his stack and considers going all in which I'm calling even if he is playing KK or K10. It might cost me but I'm not tossing this one. Eventually he calls and is he pissed when I flip over 10-10. Seems like reading him wrong was a good thing as he had AK.


A little while later the PQ walks up and she is pissed after getting knocked out. What killed her was she was rolling along and gets KK. Raises to 5X the big blind and gets one caller. Flop is 458. Seems pretty safe and she bets and gets raised. Gets all in with this clown who called her raise with 76 suited and was rewarded with a flopped straight. She didn't improve and took a big hit. With the blinds the way they were she went out a little later when she pushed with A8 and ran into A9. So she comes up to me and says lets go home. Well I'm all for that as I'm actually ahead of the game. I play the next hand with a K10 of clubs and river a flush right when another guy did. One other guy had hit a straight on the turn and didn't notice the flush on the river. Guy to my left bets 10 on the river, straight calls him and I consider my actions. I'm wondering if he has the Ace high flush and decide to keep my profits intact by calling him down. He shows the 9 high flush and hates that I have the King high. I pack up and walk out with 140 bucks after starting with 60. Much happier than I was an hour before.


Got up a bit later this morning. Was gonna take the PQ out for breakfast but she wanted to stay in so I started cooking. Made some bacon and created omelets with bacon, cheddar, onion and mushrooms for us both. Breakfast cooking has always been my favorite kind of cooking. Cleaned up while the PQ headed to Sams with her sis. Apparently I'm making dinner tonight as well so I had her pick up some chicken along with a few other things there for me. I'm gonna head out to the supermarket for a few things I don't want to buy in bulk and then I'll start dinner. I hope to see some of you tonight in the finals for the Survivor Donkey Island tourney. I posted my views about Survivor on Josies blog (I can't stand that or almost every other "Reality" show) but I have enjoyed the tourneys and have to admit it does spice them up for those involved in the Survivor game. For me it's just fun to play but it goes on so late sometimes and work has been beating me up so badly - and will for the next 2 weeks at least - that I pay for staying up too late the next day. But I plan on being there tonight. Till then stay lucky you nuts.

3 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

Made some bacon and created omelets with bacon, cheddar, onion and mushrooms for us both.

Yum.

The Neophyte said...

Isn't just about everything better with bacon Mojo?

lightning36 said...

Yeah, at least one thing video poker has that live poker doesn't: someone getting lucky calling a big raise with crap and hitting it.