Random thoughts about my interests which include (in no particular order) poker, finance & investing, politics, football and whatever else I happen to see that piques my interest

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Just some Saturday odds and ends

It's Fathers Day weekend and I hope you dads are having a good one.  Mine has been pretty good so far.  The PQ brought me donuts and iced coffee this morning which is our normal Saturday morning routine and I got to watch a lot of the programs I put on the dvr over the week

I've been reading a number of bloggers and feeling jealous over the fun they are having in Vegas.  It makes it hard to wait another 28 days and 6 hours until I get to Vegas to have my own fun.  Of course none of those people will still be in Vegas when I get there with the possible exception of Rob who is almost always in Vegas hunting boobs.  What a lucky guy. 

On my end its just work and home.  Getting stuff ready for Vegas including buying some clothes.  Still need to get some new sneakers.  I have been playing some online poker to try and sharpen my skills a little.  Results have been ok but I don't know that it will carry over to live poker.  I'm trying to concentrate on placing my opponents on a hand range and make my decisions from there which has worked pretty well so far.  I just hope I'm improving. 

I'm thinking of going to play a little poker tonight but not sure I have the bankroll for it.  Or maybe whether I want to risk part of the cash I plan on taking to Vegas with me.  Maybe I will. I've also been doing a lot of reading and I think I need to put some more time back into some poker books I own to refresh my memory. 

We had an AC problem last weekend.  I am no electrician or HVAC guy so I had no clue why the AC had kicked off and the thermostat didn't read anything.  I called my buddy Chad and explained it to him and he thought it was some transistor thing that is on the air handler in the attic being burned out.  Unfortunately since it was Sunday afternoon it might not be fixable till the next day.  He said when that transistor kicks off the electronic thermostat goes blank unless you have battery back up in it which we didn't.  Then he talked to his dad who is an electrician and he explained it was more probably just water backing up in the system due to a clogged drain.  So I worked on the drain outside and got some slime out of the pipe.  Once the water back up went down the AC kicked back on.  We didn't see this happen as we were out at dinner at the time. When we checked the drain pan afterwards it was dry.  Cool, fixed the AC and didn't have to spend hundreds.

In talking to Chad he said the thing to do is to get a hose with a high pressure sprayer and connect that to the drain to clean out the crap that builds up.  Last week we picked up a hose and sprayer but never used it as the AC was on when we got back.  Today though it kicked off again.  I saw the thermostat was blank again and I immediately went outside and hooked up the new hose.  After once spraying all over myself, I managed to get the hose spraying up the pipe and letting it drain.  Man was there a lot of built up slime in the pipe.  This orangey crap just kept coming out.  And the AC kicked back on immediately so I guess its now clean out, at least to the best it can be.  Ideally I'd like to run some bleach down the drain pipe from the drain pan down but the AC is located so high up that I need a higher ladder to reach everything.  Until then we're gonna keep hosing out the drain every month and I think we'll be fine.  Considering we've lived here 2 years and that was the first time we had to do it, I think we won't need to do it all that often even.

Well I'm off to the shower now.  Gotta get some of this mess off of me and try not to stink up the poker room tonight.  Good luck to all of you gambling fools out there in Vegas.  I'll be there in 28 days, 3 hours, 12 minutes and 30, no 29, make that 28 seconds.  Or something close to that.  Man am I getting excited.  Stay lucky and happy Fathers Day all you Dads.

3 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

Wish you were here, too. Still want to meet PQ.

lightning36 said...

Ahhh ... you'll be there soon enough. I am trying to plan my trip already. Las Vegas, Rob and the boobs he lusts after will always be there ...

Lucki Duck said...

Pour a little bleach or put a tablet in your drain pan every month when you change your AC filter. That'll keep the gunk from building up.