Random thoughts about my interests which include (in no particular order) poker, finance & investing, politics, football and whatever else I happen to see that piques my interest

Monday, May 28, 2012

Well I guess that new flooring can wait

Saturday night was proof that my run of good luck was over for now.  I got to the poker room just a few minutes before 10 pm when they were going to draw names.  There was a pretty good crowd there with a lot of tables in action.  I put my name on the list right as the first name was called for the 10K prize.  It was a weird night to say the least. 

I wasn't planning on spending too long there Saturday night.  I wasn't in a big mood to play and was just kinda doing it to kill some time.  I got seated at a table a few minutes later.  The first guy they called was not there apparently and when I sat down I saw the results of the previous hand that was played.  When they start calling names for the 10K they suspend the promotions they have going at the time so there is no high hands awarded during that time or anything else going on.  Well we weren't 5 minutes into this and the hand shown down at the table I got seated at is a royal flush.  Lady had J-10 of spades, flopped the AK and rivered the Q.  They held up the hand a few minutes hoping that someone would claim the prize but after they called a second name and he isn't there either, they came up to the dealer and said they would have to play.  They did give the winner $100 for hitting a royal flush but she would have walked away with $700 if she had gotten that hand 5 minutes sooner or as it turned out, 45 minutes later. 

They keep calling names and the people ARE NOT THERE!!  Now one name was for a guy in North Beach near Miami and another is in Valrico which is a bit outside of Tampa and so its a little drive to go to the poker room.  Everyone else they called was in St Petersburg, Clearwater, Gulfport, and Pinellas Park.  A very short trip to the room.  One name they called they had also called the week before and he hadn't been there that time either.  So that guy missed out on 20K in two weeks.  Eventually on the 10th name they call a winner.  It wasn't me.  I was bummed but not shocked.  Then again, my odds were probably 1000 to one so I'm not that surprised.  I played some more poker but saw the poker gods were not smiling upon me as one idiot who felt the wisdom of playing 10-4 suited and 7-3 off suit rivered me twice in a short time.  So I went home without new flooring but with my dignity and more importantly my poker roll intact. 

In other news, we have been working on getting a few things done around the house now.  We changed out the front door locks and made new extra keys and got a few other small things done.  We have some projects still to do including the front garden area (I HATE GARDENING) and geting ready for the new stove.  I imagine the area where the stove sits is pretty trashed so we picked up some heavy duty cleaning supplies to rememdy that for when the new stove is delivered.  The PQ now wants to replace the fridge with one that matches the stove and dishwasher.   I probably couldn't have told you what color our appliances were prior to this past week but I guess the less cavemannish in the family consider matching appliance colors an important thing.   So I'm sure we will be checking out refridgerators in the near future.  Who knew buying a house could be so expensive? 

Well that's enough for now.  Have a good night everyone.

1 comment:

lightning36 said...

"Who knew buying a house could be so expensive?"

Muhahahahahahaha!