Random thoughts about my interests which include (in no particular order) poker, finance & investing, politics, football and whatever else I happen to see that piques my interest

Saturday, April 21, 2012

I see a storm a brewing

"It could be rain or it could be me.  But I feel a storm of tickets coming on."  One of my guilty tv pleasures is a show called Parking Wars.  Originally they followed the people who ticketed and booted cars in Philly.  Now there are some areas of Philly with like 5 different signs on it, how do you decipher where to park there.  When I first started watching this show I felt sorry for the people getting tickets but after watching enough of this and seeing how STUPID some people are when they park, I think they ought to ticket and boot more cars. 

The following year they added Detroit to the mix as well.  This year they added the old home town, Providence RI to the mix.  I just can't believe the nerve of some people.  They park in a bus zone, a no stopping zone, a handicapped zone and then are shocked when they get a ticket.  "How can they ticket me, I did nothing wrong."  Oh right lady, that Bus Zone, No Parking only applies to the rest of us.  Last week I was watching and some chick double parks in the middle of the street with her flashers on and complains when she gets a ticket.  "Oh theres nowhere to park, I just ran in for one thing."  What she meant was there was no open places right in front of the store so it was ok to inconvenience everyone else so that she didn't have to walk so far.  And one thing my ass.  She was in so long that the guy she double parked next to was in his car waiting for her to move so he could go.  And some of these people see they are on camera and act up even more.  Everyone wants their 15 minutes and just can't wait to show their ass.  Today it seems any fame is good fame.

No afternoon poker today for me.  I was going to be motivated, go wash and vacuum the car, etc but Mother Nature is not cooperating today.  Cloudy and stormy all day.  Made it very easy to catch up on some DVR shows and relax with some donuts and iced coffee.  After the past 2 weeks, I could use a bit of relax time today.  Last week I had over 18 hours of OT and this week was almost 20.  Nice paycheck coming up, hopefully I'll be awake enough to spend it.  Unfortunately they are not running the same tourney today at 1 that they did last week.  I really enjoyed the tourney (winning cash seems to have that effect on me) and it was great not to be zombified on Sunday after playing most of the night.  But the only tourney at 1 today cost $435 and that is a bit out of the budget.  Especially after the money I've had to lay out recently.

Ok back from my afternoon nap.  Man what a stressful day I've had, I needed a 2 hour nap to recover.  Sucks to be me huh? 

One of the reasons I don't have as much money as I'd like is because the short sale on the home we are currently renting has been approved and I've had to lay out some cash for the paperwork involved in getting a new mortgage.  With luck and fingers crossed we should take ownership around May 7th.  I'm of 2 minds here.  I've never owned a home before, always rented.  Even as a kid, we always rented homes.  I kind of like not having to be responsible for things like roofs and air conditioners.  On the other hand, now we'll have a place of our own and even including taxes, insurance, and homeowners fees, etc, we'll be paying over $200 less per month to live there. 

Well it's time to get ready to play.  Gonna play the 8pm tourney tonight.  Hopefully I'll be able to write about a victory for me or the PQ.  Even if I don't , sucks to be me don't it??  Good luck to everyone. except my opponents. Hopefully they see a storm a brewing as well.  A storm of losing hands vs my monsters.

5 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

we'll be paying over $200 less per month to live there.

And you'll be getting a tax break.

GL in the tourney tonight.

KenP said...

Yeah, houses can't be hidden or steal new plates to avoid the repo man either... :)

You'll love owning the house. Trust me. Is that the a/c making that funny noise?

Equity! You are building equity. It is something the government will steal in your final days while plugged into tubes -- not the ones that make up the Internet.

Well, that's my cheery note for today. Play smart tonight.

lightning36 said...

I am also a fan of Parking Wars. I'd sure hate to do that job, though.

I've owned a house every year since 1986 except for a four year period in the early 1990's. Like anything, there are good and bad points.

Seems to me you are pretty much living the good life -- good job, great wife, living in Florida, playing poker ...

Carmel said...

When I discovered that show I spent a weekend watching the entire series. It's addictive and I'm a little brain damaged.

Gosh Lightning, I was born in '86.

I hate owning a house. I'd rather be buying shoes than fixing the water heater :)

grrouchie said...

I have a current love/hate relationship with owning a house but I think that in the long run it's a worthwhile investment.

I mean, I'm going to be dirt poor when I retire so I'm going to need a rent free place to live!