Random thoughts about my interests which include (in no particular order) poker, finance & investing, politics, football and whatever else I happen to see that piques my interest

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Not a good weekend sleep wise. Not a good weekend to make money playing poker either. It started on Friday night/Saturday morning. I stayed up too late goofing off on Friday night which wouldn't have been so bad but I also woke up pretty early on Saturday. Ok, no biggie, I'll just take a nap in the afternoon or sleep in Sunday Morning. Fat chance of that. Ran some errands during the day and went to play poker at Derby Lane Saturday night. I would have been better off not playing probably.



Early in the tourney we were playing short handed. Neither the small or big blind were there yet. Everyone folded to me and I just called for 50. Gal on button raises to 200. Since there is no one in the blinds, she might have a hand or she might be stealing. Probably she has something. I am sitting on A-4 of spades. Flop comes A-9-4. Bingo, top and bottom pair. I check and she bets 200. I raise to 500 and she calls. Ok she probably has an ace, maybe AK or AQ. Turn is another 4, big bingo. Made my boat. I sneakily check again and she bets 1000. Was thinking of raising but I just call. River is a 3. I debate checking to her again but want to get more out of her so I bet another 1000 which puts about 2/3 of my chips into the pot. She calls and I confidently turn over A-4 and say "Fours full." Imagine my shock when she flips over AA for Aces full of fours.

I was lucky not to lose my entire stack but that was only because she was afraid I had 44 for quad fours. Unfortunately I didn't damn. But my goose was basically cooked and soon after I lost with 10-10 to KQ off suit and that was the tournament or as Hootie Johnson (former head of the Masters golf tournament) that was the toonamint.

Soon after that I was playing straight $2 limit holdem. I hate $2 limit holdem for the most part but the poker room was giving away $500 every half hour to the best holdem hand. Needless to say I didn't come close. We did have fun though as my wife joined me soon after I got to a table then a couple of friends of ours came to the table a bit later. There was a lot of bantering back and forth and as pots were stolen, rivers were ugly or saviors, and suckouts went around the table. I got down about $70 but made it all back up before we left. Unfortunately our daughter has now failed history from 2 years ago as one of our friends teaches at my daughter's high school and my wife took two good sized pots away from her. She nailed me on two pots as well as she rivered me twice with horrible draws. Still a splendid time was had by all.

Sunday was Superbowl sunday. I was rooting for the Saints only because I dislike Peyton Manning (intensely) and thought it would be nice for the Saints to finally win something. Otherwise I have no use for the Saints as they are one of the division rivals of my Bucs. Not only did the Saints win but it was a very profitable SB for me on the betting front. I took a number of different prop bets hitting one for first player to score (Pierre Garcon at 10-1) and also a freebie for $25 from the site I bet with for first player to make a first down (Dallas Clark). I also won taking the Saints getting 5 points and betting the under. I lost only one bet (outside of the other props for first TD I took) and made a very sweet profit for the day. The commercials were also better than last year which isn't saying much and I didn't have to see a Manning in every other commercial. I even like their Oreo commercial against the Trumps, that was pretty funny. No commercials really stood out to me but most were not lame like last year. I do think Bud Light lost a lot of their commercial magic. They had been pretty dependable for good SB commercials but not this year. Any thoughts on the SB or the commercials?

Well that's enough on last weekend. I will update Valentine's Day weekend later today I hope.

No comments: